1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
Discovered exactly how little sleep is necessary to function, watched the Hawkeyes go undefeated in normal season play, visited a Baha’i House of Worship, washed cloth diapers at home, drummed up excitement about an intranet, biked 1500 miles, roasted a zucchini inside an eggplant inside a butternut squash, served on a task force that shaped a survey administered by the federal government, mourned the closing of a bar.
//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? 50/50. Not bad. 3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Still more babies everywhere, though nothing like last year. A dear friend had her second son in June, Nicolas’s sister had a baby in October, and another dear friend had her daughter just a few days ago. //embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js
4. Did anyone close to you die?
We lost Pandora in September, not long before my sister lost her Spock and my parents lost their Sasha. And my friend Mark died in January. We were never close, but I’ve been surprised by how much I’ve missed him.
5. What countries (or new places) did you visit?
No international travel this year, though we did spend a great week in San Francisco and an overnight in Michigan. Travel with a baby is harrrrrd. Instead, Nicolas’s mom came to us!
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
More dates with my partner. More time with friends. More sleep.
7. What date from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
My baby’s first birthday was pretty damned special.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Keeping a small human alive with my body and not losing my mind through months and months of severe sleep deprivation.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I’m sure there are aspects of early parenting that we’ll regret. I wish I were more patient, and that I did a better job of communicating at times.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I threw out my back biking in May, and got a nice bit of road rash in June. The entire family was sick in November and then again in December. Nothing serious, thankfully.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Witch hazel and essential oils for me, stacking cups and a wooden kazoo for the baby.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I am always proud of my sister, but this year she really knocked it out of the park.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food and drink and rent. The usual stuff.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Riding my big.
16. What song will always remind you of 2015?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
ii. thinner or fatter?
Thinner than last year, and closing in on my pre-pregnancy weight and shape.
iii. richer or poorer?
Richer both financially and personally.
//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Riding my bike with my baby. Sleeping. Watching movies. Reading books. Spending quality time with friends and family. Drinking.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We drove out to Rockford on Christmas Eve and had dinner with my family, then did brunch and packages the next morning before driving back to the city. I was sad to not spend more time with everyone, but also relieved to be home early and with an entire weekend ahead of us.
21. Did you fall in love in 2015?
With my baby boy and my bike commute and speculaas cookies
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Game of Thrones and Mr Robot
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year
25. What was the best book you read?
While I read other books that were more important, I was completely absorbed by Wolf Hall.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
My child is a kazoo prodigy.
27. What did you want and get?
My running form back. Professional opportunities and new work friends.
28. What did you want and not get?
My athletic body back. The opportunity to run a marathon.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
I literally only watched 3 movies this year, all of which were in the last month.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 35. We waited around for a good part of the morning hoping the baby would poop (he didn’t) before heading out to Eataly for a late lunch, and then to the zoo for our annual visit to the small mammal house. We had made dinner reservations at Nightwood (RIP) and arranged for a babysitter, but decided that the baby wasn’t ready (we weren’t ready), so the three of us had dinner at deColores instead. Later in the weekend, I went to King Spa with a group of friends. My mom was supposed to come in for a weekend in the city later in the month, but the baby had hit the four month sleep regression, so those plans ended up being cancelled.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I sound like a broken record: SLEEP.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Easy access for breastfeeding
33. What kept you sane?
Riding my bike, the friends in my phone.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
No one in particular.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
I feel like I’ve learned more about race and privilege in the last year than the whole rest of my life.
36. Who did you miss?
My sister. Our much more flexible life pre-baby.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
I’m thankful for new work/professional/mom friends.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015:
Ask for help before you need it. Don’t underestimate the detrimental effects of severe sleep deprivation. Everything is a phase. Everything is a season. The only constant is change.