Six years ago this week, the world lost a treasure, and I sat at my desk at GSLIS mourning someone I never had the opportunity to really know. In previous years I’ve resolved to be more like Leslie – this year I put that resolution on my body. In her honor, do something unexpectedly awesome for someone in your life today.
- No pants in public. Jenny asked how this counts as a resolution since I’m not inclined to wear pants in general. I said it’s like a social smoker quitting smoking for real. No pants in public except those required for specific fitness activities (yoga, running, biking, etc).*
- One really big race: either the Chicago Marathon or a triathlon. Despite the adrenaline of finishing the former with Annette, I’m still unconvinced that I need to do it myself. The latter sounds hard but fun. Or “fun”. So maybe I do an Olympic/international tri, and then run Nat in from mile 18. All the adrenaline, none of the missing toenails.
- Ride a goddamned motorcycle. This was on my list of things to do in my 25th year. I’m almost 33.
- Get out of debt. I also want to build up my savings, but interest rates are higher on credit than on savings, so debt reduction it is.
- Leave the country at least once.
- Run 1,000 miles and bike 2,000 miles.**
- Figure out this career stuff. I can’t be more specific at the moment, but I want to make this happen.
- Keep living with my heart wide open.
- Be more like Leslie. Always.
*I enjoy that I will not be wearing pants in public, while Jenny generally doesn’t wear pants in private. Opposite/same!
** Special dispensation will be given for this resolutions in case of injury.