Winter, 1931-1932, from The Diaries of Anaïs Nin
I had a sense of preparation for a love to come. Like the extension of canopies, the unrolling of ceremonial carpets, as if I must first create a marvelous world in which to house it, in which to receive adequately this guest of honor.
Second and fourth photos courtesy of Shane Glenn and prettyemmy
- Settled in a great new apartment in a great new neighborhood with a great new roommate.
- Spring and maybe summer have arrived in Chicago. On Tuesday, it was 85 and sunny for my post-work run.
- A couple of great overnights in Champaign, and vacation on the not-to-distant horizon.
- Lunchtime walks in beautiful places.
- Lots of demands at work, but most of them are interesting and stretch me in good ways.
- So much good music in the next two weeks: Zoe Keating, Emily Wells, Front 242 (DJ set), Colin Stetson, Four Tet (DJ set). And then Movement not long after.
- Back to back PRs in a set of races where I PR’d last year.
- A new relationship that isn’t really new at this point, but that continues to fill me with wonder and joy and peace.
- A battery of tests proving that I’m in excellent health.
- Horoscopes that tell me to follow my heart:
CAPRICORN (December 22-January 19): Despite everything I wrote to you last week about weighing self-gratification against fairness-to-others (which probably still requires some consideration), I can’t help but encourage you to veer slightly more in the direction of pursuing whatever the hell makes you happy. While it’s useful to reflect enough on your privilege relative to your friends or colleagues so you’re not blind to their potential responses, you can’t live a satisfying life by concentrating too much on assuaging others’ discontent. In fact, with multiple 5th-house planets now moving into a supportive trine to Pluto in your 1st, I’m sure you’re feeling pretty emboldened to make the personal most of any situation… and why the fuck not? These energies sure seem to be formally inviting you to intentionally put yourself at the unapologetic center of this week’s decision-making—and not just out of some future-minded commitment to ‘becoming your best self’, but in order to choose whatever will bring you immediate joy, creative fulfillment, and/or positive flirtatious attention. In closing, yes, I suppose I should reiterate the possibility that certain social allegiances could suffer tension, as envious or disapproving others react to seeing you so unapologetically serve your own pleasure. Maybe it’s because they’ve become too accustomed to you taking care of their needs first?