A bit of this and that to wrap up the work week:
- Project #1 for today: dealing with my Delicious bookmarks, including my carefully curated Maru archive. On Lifehacker’s recommendation, I’ve signed up for Pinboard. I’ve gone back and forth on bookmarking for a while – I used Xmarks pretty heavily for a few years, but found the web interface a bit clunky and slow-loading. Delicious has been great for my purposes for years, and I’m sad to see it go.
- Project #2: change passwords around the internet in the wake of the Gawker hack.
- Catalog Living may have saved my day on Wednesday. Seriously, I don’t remember the last time I laughed that hard. Thank you to everyone who sent me your favorite internets, by the way. So many funny things!
- For 30 seconds of hilarity and birds, watch some of these product videos of squirrel-proof bird feeders, especially the Yankee Flipper
- Also: Comments overheard at a brainstorming meeting between Ted Nugent and the editors of Gourmet Magazine where they were discussing the upcoming book Gourmet Magazine’s Vegan Cooking with Ted Nugent – I love you, McSweeney’s.
- In the spirit of being thankful, Thxthxthx is lovely – handwritten thank you notes to people and things, including Outdated Globes or Lengthy Conversations about Fruits and Vegetables.
- The Sandra Lee Kwanzaa cake debacle is like watching a train wreck – an event so horrifying that it frightened Anthony Bourdain.
- So many funny tweets this week, the highlights of which were these folks, who you should definitely follow:
@mjanssen: My tombstone might read: “He Still Cared About the Difference Between ‘Like’ and ‘Such As'”
@mjanssen: I’m glad my cell phone knows “Wiseau.” Related note: I might be at the point where I never need to see the The Room again
@alwysabridesmd: I meant to be productive today but all I did so far was fall asleep watching Hoarders on Netflix and eat. LIKE A HIBERNATING BEAR.
@alwysabridesmd: OH BOY free cookies in the breakroom. WHY DID I CHOOSE AN OUTFIT WITH NO POCKETS TODAY
@j00j: I like how as soon as I’d had enough of that party, the dog decided I was its new BFF. Yes, tiny dog, I will protect you from the crowds
@exlibris: Playing some Xbox, or as Isobel refers to it, “Button.”
This is my new favorite thing on the internet. Not this picture in particular, but this site in both concept and execution.
Submitted by Jessica
Give me that E and let’s get this motherfucking rave started!
That’s how I’m feeling at the moment, aside from the rave part.
Hey there Internet! I don’t have much to say tonight, but I thought I would share with you a few sites I’ve been enjoying with the hopes that they will give you inspiration and/or spice up your feed reader of choice:
- Artificial Owl, which is a blog about abandoned man-made structures. The photos are eerie and beautiful. It’s maybe my favorite thing on the Internet right now – except for, of course, you friendos out there.
- Holga, which is a Tumblr dedicated to “Art, literature, music and film from creative wonders around the world.”
- 30 Bucks a Week, a blog kept by a Brooklyn couple who are trying to eat on $30 per week. That $30 doesn’t include booze, meals out, or non-food items usually purchased while grocery shopping – but technicalities aside, I’ve found it pretty inspiring.
- Letter from Hen Waller, which I just started reading recently, though I’ve been Flickr-spying on this couple for a while. Their dedication to sustainable urban agriculture and urban living is what I hope to aspire to someday.
- Pete Bakes!, which is a new discovery by way of my friend Stephen. It is, as you might imagine, about baking, and is written by a 20-something dude who lives in DC.
- Zooborns. I know some of you don’t enjoy images of cute animals, but I do, and Zooborns does it best – perhaps even better than Cute Overload. Yeah, I said it.
If you’ll excuse me, I’m off to bed in my hotel room 143 miles away from home. Let me know what you think if you check out any of the above – and also if there are wonderful things I should be reading.
Trent’s CD Player: I’m not sure I can describe how amazing this site is.
Flickr meme from Kimberly at Music & Cats:
Here’s how it works:
* Type your answers to each of the questions below into Flickr Search
* Using only the first page, pick an image
* Copy and paste each of the URLs into the mosaic maker
1. What is your first name?
2. What is your favorite food?
3. What high school did you go to?
4. What is your favorite color?
5. Who is your celebrity crush?
6. Favorite drink?
7. Dream vacation?
8. Favorite dessert?
9. What do you want to be when you grow up?
10. What do you love most in life?
11. One word to describe you.
12. Your Flickr name.
1. Maria Elizabeth Winblad (1895-1987) and Otto Perry Winblad (1902-1977) circa 1905-1910 possibly at Wayne Street in Jersey City, New Jersey, 2. Meant To Be Dinner: Cheese Board, 3. Day 100/366: A Well Lit Memory Lane, 4. Handmade Postcard – Cyan, Blue Green, Green, 5. Day 130/366: Ralph Fiennes, Rendered in Chalk, 6. My coffee loves me too, 7. Morocco. Alone in the sahara desert., 8. German Chocolate Cake!, 9. i like you because you are a good person to like, 10. sub urban love, 11. 247/365 Silly IS Sexy, 12. Brixton tube