Tonight saw the release of the first Bell’s Hopslam of the year. As anyone who had had beers with me knows, I am definitively NOT a hop fan – but Shane is, and so we met at Ashley’s for dinner tonight. As usual, we sat at our table for more than ten minutes before getting a server’s attention – which would be fine at a bar with bar service, but at Ashley’s, the only people served at the bar are those seated at the bar. Oh how we miss the Galaxy Hut, where you could count on staff maintaining the right balance of friendly and surly, where you waited in line for your beer, and where the only service interactions at your table were the delivery of food and the clearing of empties.
Why do we go to Ashley’s anyway? I struggled to find something passably healthy on the menu, ending up with a burger, no bun, and a salad. Shane cashed in his Beer Tour appetizer for a tureen of cheddar ale dip accompanied by crispy tortilla chips. The beer – that’s the only reason we come back. And oh, is it good. Even (or especially) the Hopslam with all of its hops.
Thanks to everyone who came out to see us off! We miss you all already, and hope that we can see you again soon.
Galaxy Hut Playlist 08-26-09:
- The Beta Band – Dry the Rain
- Emily Wells – Symphony 2 & the Click Boom Boom
- New Order – Crystal
- MIA – One for the Head
- LCD Soundsystem – Get Innocuous
- Ladytron – Seventeen
- The Shouty Pants – Grow Man
- Kylie Minogue – I Believe In You (feat. Scissor Sisters)
- New Order – Turn
- The Dresden Dolls – Pretty in Pink
- Jem – Save Me
- Lykke Li – Little Bit
- Fugees – Fu Gee La
- Jamie Lidell – Multiply
- Magnetic Fields – Let’s Pretend We’re Bunny Rabbits
- My Morning Jacket – Gideon
- Men at Work – Down Under
- Iggy Pop – I am a Passenger
- The B-52s – Rock Lobster
- Talking Heads – Girlfriend is Better
- Beastie Boys – So What’cha Want
- Torche – Fat Waves
- Guided by Voices – Game of Pricks
- The Arcade Fire – This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) (CBC)
- Black Sabbath – War Pigs
- Of Montreal – Disconnect the Dots
- New Order – Temptation 7″ Mix
- Guided by Voices – Glad Girls
- Beastie Boys – Root Down
- The Smiths – Ask
- Clark – Future Daniel
- Chairlift – Bruises
- Emily Wells – Symphony 9 & the Sunshine
- Delorean – Seasun
- Black Star – Astronomy (8th Light)
- Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings – How Long Do I Have To Wait For You?
- Black Sabbath – After Forever
- Of Montreal – The Repudiated Immortals
- Talking Heads – And She Was
- Death Cab for Cutie – Soul Meets Body
- Black Sabbath – Planet Caravan
- Hum – Stars
– Red Ink, a soft grassy sheep’s cheese, Appenzeller cheese, and jamón ibérico (!!!!!!). The jamón was a birthday gift from Shane, and oh what a gift it was. We have a bit more in the fridge, and I plan to savor it at some point this week. Some girls get chocolate for their birthdays – me, I get expensive Spanish ham.
– brunch at the Corcoran, which wasn’t all that exciting in and of itself, but it was a very nice atmosphere and I enjoyed the souffle.
– the always reliable veggie options at the Hut.
– one more opportunity to see the Annie Leibovitz exhibit at the Corcoran. Our memberships paid off today when we didn’t have to wait in line for the sold out show. The galleries were packed with people, so the exhibit lacked some of the intensity of our first visit, but I’m awfully glad we went again.
– staying in to watch Helvetica and Paris, je t’aime, two very different films but both quite good.
– our new sofa arrived on Saturday and promptly exerted its dominance over our living room. I showed it who’s boss by taking a nap on it later.
– meeting a new friend at the Arlington Animal Shelter. She can’t possibly replace Sid in our hearts or memories, but she will Basil on his toes and the two of us in stitches. We’re hoping to bring her home in a few days, once she’s healed from her spaying and they’ve made sure that no one is going to come claim her.
– lots of quality time with SB. The last few weeks have been very hard, and very tiring, and it was wonderful to have a lot of lazy downtime together.