1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
Ran a marathon; spent 3 weeks in Belgium; took a vacation with the entire family; launched an intranet; took a bootcamp class; found Divvy Red (twice in one day!); used a hospital-grade pump; facilitated a strategic planning discussion; ran 1,000 miles.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
For the most part, and yes.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Several friends had babies, particularly in the first half of the year, and several more are expecting in the new year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I lost friends, but my year was nothing compared to the losses experienced by many people close to me.
5. What countries (or new places) did you visit?
No new places, but plenty of travel: 3 weeks in Belgium, 2 trips to DC/Virginia (conference + friend visit + wedding), and trips to Ann Arbor (wedding), Orlando (conference), Michigan City (family beach rental), Long Beach (friend support), Iowa City (family weekend), and Carlsbad (vacation).
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
Let’s just carry my 2016 list forward for another year: more dates with my partner, more time with friends, and more sleep. And more dancing.
7. What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
My marathon, and the day after the election.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My marathon, obvs.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Same as last year: I’m sure there are aspects of early parenting that we’ll regret. I wish I were more patient, and that I did a better job of communicating at times.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A couple of random bugs, but nothing serious.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I’m slavishly devoted to my Get To Work Book. I also bought a new bike, but I haven’t had a chance to ride it yet.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
A lot of people complained about their social media and friend circles becoming toxic during the election. I feel incredibly fortunate that this wasn’t the case for me – and that many of my friends have continued to engage, to push buttons, to keep those of us inclined to armchair activism moving forward in this post-election season.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The President-Elect and all around him.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food and drink and rent.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I wouldn’t say that I loved marathon training, but I did love many hours of podcast listening, especially Criminal, More Perfect, and Revisionist History.
16. What song will always remind you of 2016?
We sing a silly song from one of the Winnie the Pooh movies a lot. Otherwise, I didn’t actually listen to all that much music.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
ii. thinner or fatter?
iii. richer or poorer?
More debt, but also more money.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
The same things every year: spending time with the toddler and his papa. Sleeping. Watching movies. Reading books. Dancing. Drinking. Spending time with friends and family.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Driving. Trying to convince someone that he really, actually does need to sleep.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We drove out to Rockford Christmas Eve, made a quick trip to the Nicholas Conservatory, and had Indian food for Christmas Eve dinner. The toddler got to have a snowy Christmas morning adventure with Pop, and I got in a quick run before Jenn and her family came over for packages and snacks. The toddler absolutely refused to nap and was in complete meltdown by dinner, so he had to miss the delicious food. We headed home on the 26th after a quick trip to the Discovery Center.
21. Did you fall in love in 2016?
With podcasts and early morning long runs
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Game of Thrones, Man in the High Castle, Westworld
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year
Some elected officials
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I really didn’t listen to much music this year.
27. What did you want and get?
Different responsibilities; a good training cycle; new friends
28. What did you want and not get?
More responsibility; a PR
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
I watched maybe 4 movies this year. It wouldn’t be fair to try to pick a favorite.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 36. I took the toddler to our parent/child class at the Waldorf School down the street, then N treated us to brunch at the Cherry Circle Room. We took a walk and had cupcakes at Molly’s. We had literally just come back from vacation, so a low-key day was just fine.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Different election results. More sleep.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
Workout clothes + comfortable layers
33. What kept you sane?
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
So many people lost their heroes this year – I’m afraid to name mine.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
The entire election was a shitshow.
36. Who did you miss?
37. Who was the best new person you met?
This was the year that some of my work/professional friendships got real, and I’m so, so grateful for that.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016:
Listen more than you talk.