- What did you do in 2020 that you’d never done before?
Lived through a global pandemic; witnessed civil rights protests; wore a face mask; had my nose swabbed a bunch of times; worked from home for months on end; joined a CSA and a bean club; caught a mouse; hung blinds; biked with both kids; cut my own hair.
- Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Unusually for me, I didn’t really set resolutions, and I certainly didn’t worry about keeping them.
- Did anyone close to you give birth?
Wonderful friends had babies that I have yet to meet.
- Did anyone close to you die?
We are extremely fortunate to not have lost anyone close to us in 2020.
- What countries (or new places) did you visit?
Remember visiting new places? We barely left the city.
- What would you like to have in 2021 that you lacked in 2020?
Peace of mind and two COVID vaccine shots in my arm.
- What date from 2020 will remain etched up on your memory, and why?
March 12 was the last day Before for us.
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Maintaining my sanity and doing my best to stay present through a rollercoaster of a year.
What was your biggest failure?
I am striking this question in order to frame experiences as growth rather than failure.
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hip in March. I wiped out and got road rash while running in a cemetery and then twisted the shit out of my foot at the end of the summer and had to take 3+ weeks off running. I badly skinned my knee on Thanksgiving. Nothing major, all frustrating.
- What was the best thing you bought?
Rancho Gordo beans and our new couch.
- Whose behavior merited celebration?
Front line workers of all sorts.
- Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Most elected officials’, same as in previous years.
- Where did most of your money go?
Food and rent.
- What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Ologies. Elizabeth Warren. Sourdough.
- What song will always remind you of 2020?
How about podcasts? I discovered and BINGED Ologies.
- Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
ii. richer or poorer?
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
SPEND TIME WITH OTHER PEOPLE
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying about money, dealing with moving and apartment disasters.
- How did you spend Christmas?
At home, taking things slow. We spread the gifts and the video chats throughout the day so there was never a point when everyone got overwhelmed or overstimulated. The small kid spent several hours playing with his garbage truck. I made an overly fussy vegducken for dinner.
- Did you fall in love in 2020?
- (Adding a new question in place of one that no longer applies!) What was the best thing you ate?
I did a tremendous amount of cooking and baking this year. Off the top of my head, the butternut squash and sweetcorn erriseri was a particular winner. The big kid would likely vote for spaghetti squash and mushroom (soccer) balls. The small kid might vote for the fruit dump truck that I made for his birthday.
- What was your favorite TV program?
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
The same Trump administration suspects.
- What was the best book you read?
Island on Fire was the most engrossing
- What was your greatest musical discovery?
- What did you want and get?
I got to see my parents and my sister and a few friends all too briefly. We went on many family bike rides, and I got to have WAY more time with my kids than I ever could have imagined going into the year.
- What did you want and not get?
So, so many things.
- What was your favorite film of the year?
I finished zero movies in 2020.
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 40. We took the kids to the Chicago Children’s Museum. We had donuts from Do-Rite and ramen at Ramen-San. I went for an afternoon run by the lake. My mom came in for the weekend and babysat so that we could go out for brunch and drinks. We had dinner with her at Greek Islands, and a quiet dinner at home. All of this seems unimaginable now!
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not being in a pandemic.
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2020?
Jean shorts and my David Rose-esque star sweater
- What kept you sane?
Nicolas, my sister, Eva, Karen, Kim and Angie, Anne and KZ, long walks
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Who has time for that?
- What political issue stirred you the most?
I felt pulled in a million directions, but focused my energy on unlearning white supremacy and writing get out the vote postcards.
- Who did you miss?
One thought on “2020 in meme”
Thank you! That was perfect. I may have gotten a little teary.