So instead of making dinner tonight, we did this:
Shane got a pair of tickets to the Pistons – Cavs game for $25, so after work, we hopped in Richard Simmons, grabbed some ice cream, and headed to Detroit. It was hard to tell which team had more fans in the house – the dudes behind us were chanting L-B-J and M-V-P, but somehow Shane was the one who got popcorn thrown at him? It was a great game, but the Cavs pulled it off in the end.
On our way home, we stopped at a gas station for a soda and I perused the snack offerings while Shane hit the bathroom. The trip to/from Detroit isn’t enough to justify really quality road snacks, but we did share a mint 3 Musketeers – delicious and not terribly bad for us. Most road snacks, however, meet only one of those two characteristics – the delicious part. I know, I know – you can pack fruits and veggies, drink lots of water, all of that good stuff – but nothing says ‘road trip’ quite like the radio turned up loud and your hand in a bag of something salty. I haven’t given this much thought, not nearly as much thought as I gave the candy selection last night, but in a pinch and in no particular order, here are our top 10 road snacks:
- Chex Mix. I could take up the rest of this list by ranking the flavors, but I won’t.
- Combos. Always solid.
- Chicken McNuggets. Our enjoyment of nuggets is balanced though not justified by the guilt about factory farming that we feel when not eating nuggets.
- Jerky in a variety of forms, some of which we should explore making on our own.
- Dried fruit, especially pineapple, regular apple, and apricots. And other fruits that include an ‘ap’ sound, though I can’t think of any at the moment.
- Munchies – a beautiful mélange of Cheetos, Doritos, pretzels, and Sun Chips, each noteworthy snacks on their own.
- Gummy candies – Swedish fish, gummy peaches, etc. Good because they take time to eat.
- Coffee and lots of it.
- Granola/protein bars. A few years ago, I set out to conclusively decide which bar offered the best balance of calories, flavor, and protein. I’m not sure if I decided anything other than that I don’t like eating protein bars all the time – but we do like Clif Bars in general, and the chocolate chip bar in particular.
- FRUIT AND NUT, which came into our lives thanks to our first trip to Bonnaroo with Mark and Mike.
I think I need a snack.