We’ve been here a month, and some folks are wondering what sorts of shenanigans we’ve been up to. I’ll summarize in brief, and maybe be more vigilant about posting in the future.
Work: Shane started his job on Aug. 31 and seems to like it so far. He’s going to a lot of meetings, taking a couple of fitness classes through UM, and getting burgers on Thursday with a regular crew from the office. UM seems to be treating him well, which is a very good thing! Shortly after starting, we discovered that I can be covered on his insurance as his Other Qualifying Adult, which is pretty awesome indeed – especially because I’m in my 6th week of being unemployed.
Job Hunt: I have applied for what feels like a bajillion jobs since leaving GW, interviewed for two, and been turned down for one (minimum wage = wah). I am persevering, though, and am hopeful that something will come up soon. Having just one income has meant a lot of conversations about money, long-term plans, etc – big and sometimes scary stuff to deal with. I am incredibly thankful for Shane’s good job and for his support. Being unemployed has also meant a lot of time to spend on things like sewing, running, and volunteering, all of which I’ll write more about later.
Wedding: we were due to get married on Oct. 10, but as previously mentioned, those plans were suspended when we decided to move here. Now we’re talking about a spring wedding, maybe in Cleveland, maybe involving a lot of mimosas. Stay tuned for more info!
Cats: Basil has been barfing up a storm for the last couple of days, but after a trip to the very affordable vet (no seriously – 59 bones covered the office visit and two kinds of meds), I think it might be under control. The cats seem to be digging the new place and spend a lot of time stalking the squirrel that torments them by hanging out in the tree by our front window.
Domesticity: We’ve been homebodies a lot this month because we’re trying to save money – but eating well because I’m a good little housewife. Lots of roast chicken, homemade bread, soups, stuff like that. The sudden turn in the weather means that there will be more of the same to stick to our bones in the coming months.
Adventures: When we do get out and about, though, it’s to do inexpensive and tasty things like:
- splitting sandwiches at Zingerman’s – tonight we had the Rocco’s Revenge, the sandwich of the month for September
- blueberry picking in Dexter – we picked a couple of pounds for a grand total of $4 (including a soda)
- beers at Arbor Brewing Company – not the best brewpub or beer by any means, but it does the trick
- breakfast at FM@SELMA – I’ve been volunteering here since we first landed in town, but last week was the first week we made it to breakfast – amazing pork shoulder with pepper sauce, cornbread, and fried eggs. Mmmm.
- volunteer at the Homegrown Festival – we helped with set up, then poured for Arcadia, drinking a lot of free beer and eating excellent food along the way
Shane also went on a pretty epic beer tour spanning four states with Mike and Bill, but I’ll let him tell you about that later. He’s off to San Francisco on Saturday – I’ll be holding down the fort with Mina and barfcat and enjoying a visit from my sister and her husband for a few days. What have YOU been up to?
0 thoughts on “A2 Update!”