For my contribution to a year-long mixtrade, I initially planned to make a Presidents’ Day mix, with all songs that either referred to or had some sort of association with presidents. On the way to a friend’s birthday brunch, however, Shane and I started talking about songs that had been appropriated for commercial purposes, and I realized I could make a pretty damned good mix using songs that I like that have been used to advertise various products. I ruled out any Apple commercials, since those are consistently great, and any commercials for media products like movies or video games. When it was all said and done, I was actually sort of horrified at the number of really good songs that are used to shill for cars, Coke, and other products.
Without further ado, then, my mix:
1. Poe – Hey Pretty – Ford Flex
2. ELO – Mr. Blue Sky – VW Beetle
3. Goldfrapp – Ooh La La – Diet Coke
4. Röyksopp – Remind Me – Geico
5. Of Montreal – Wraith Pinned To The Mist And Other Games – Outback Steakhouse
6. Cat Stevens – Here Comes My Baby – Chase Bank
7. Ben Lee – We’re All In This Together – Kohl’s
8. The Cure – Pictures Of You – HP
9. David Bowie & Queen – Under Pressure – Propel Fitness Water
10. The Beatles – Real Love – JC Penney
11. Robert Plant & Alison Krauss – Killing The Blues – JC Penney
12. José González – Heartbeats – Sony Bravia
13. Hem – Half Acre – Liberty Mutual Insurance
14. Donovan – Catch The Wind – GE
15. The Rolling Stones – She’s a Rainbow – Sony Bravia
16. Morrissey – Every Day is Like Sunday – NFL
17. Hum – Stars – Cadillac
0 thoughts on “February Mixtrade: Selling Out”
Cool mix theme! When I first saw that Cadillac commercial I remember exclamining WTF Hum?! But then that Morrissey cover-NFL combo is sure a doozy.
presidents used to have theme songs:
these are AWESOME
I love this idea — can’t wait to hear it.
I hate to admit it, but that “She’s a Rainbow” bunnies commercial is one of my favorites ever.
There are so many good songs that sneak into commercials… my favorite sneak right now is at the end of Comcast HD commercials, Of Montreal’s ‘A Sentence Of Sorts In Kongsvinger’ starts to play.
I find that http://adtunes.com/ is sometimes useful — though they’ve revamped their site since I was last there, and it now seems LESS useful. Hmm.