Just for the sake of having something to write, here’s a short list of the questions I have answered since 5:45pm.
- A request for guest wireless, which I set up with a smile.
- Print problem #1: the print server is slow. Fixed itself before I could get to it, as is generally the case with tech problems.
- Print problem #2: frames will be the death of us all. Whenever a patron comes to the desk with a sheaf of half-printed papers, I know they’re trying to print from a) Blackboard or b) Yahoo. Right on both counts this time, and one more patron now knows how to right-click.
- Another request for guest wireless.
- “Do those copiers send faxes?” No. Go to Kinko’s.
- A request for back-issues of GW publications – specifically “By George”, and specifically the most recent one. Special Collections is closed, so I steal one out of my coworker’s mailbox. Mental note: put it back before I leave.
- An IM from a friend who is trying to find publication dates on a series of books. The reference collection lets me down. I totally marked this on the stats sheet even though it wasn’t technically a question from one of our patrons.
- “Where’s the bathroom?”
- “If I need something from a library in the consortium, can I just go there?” Yes.