Week 2: growing
- tiny sprouts in our lettuce bin!
- pepper transplant from Seed Savers arrived – need to get that in a bigger pot.
- lots of rain the last couple of days has made the tomatoes grow tall
Week 2: eating
- salad of roasted potatoes and spring onions from the DR market with non-local eggs and bacon (note: buy eggs next weekend), grilled awesome brats from DR butcher (local?), salad greens from FB market
- rainbow chard (DR) frittata with non-local eggs (recipe from On Rue Tatin)
- parboiled asparagus (DR) with herbs from our garden and some grated cheese
- grilled chicken and spring onions (DR) with fresh pasta from Cheesetique
- fantastic salad and strawberries from the FB market
This week I made an effort to do as much of our shopping as I could using mass transit. Non-local indulgences included a pizza Tuesday night after a long and frustrating day, and stocking up on our favorite breakfast cereal when it was hella on sale ($1.88 for Basic 4!). We picked up some fantastic stuff from the Courthouse market today, though, so I’m excited for our mostly-local brunch tomorrow, and good eats this week before I fly to Chicago for a meeting.