We signed up for Farm to Philly‘s One Local Summer challenge, which begins June 1. The challenge is to “make one meal each week using locally grown ingredients”, which we think is eminently doable. We also planted our balcony garden last weekend, giving us the promise of fresh herbs all summer long, as well as a couple of kinds of small tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, and maybe some lettuce as well. I’m delighted to have the resources and opportunity to shop at the farmers’ market(s) and grow (some of) our own food – it’s bizarre to me given our long agrarian history that these things are now privileges rather than the status quo.
Week 1: growing
- chives in Sunday’s scrambled eggs
- transplanted flat leaf parsley from the FB market
- 2 beautiful strawberries!
Week 1: eating
- turnips from the DR market, parboiled then sauteed in a vinegar-wine-butter reduction, for dinner on Friday
- salad greens from the FB market for dinner on Friday, with more leftover
- strawberries from the FB market for breakfast on Saturday
- quiche from the FB market for lunch on Thursday